St Thomas More College was founded by Archbishop Redmond Prendiville. It was initially funded by many Western Australian and overseas benefactors.
Construction of the Front Wing (Building C) and the College Chapel began in 1953. The first students - there were only five! - took up residence on 14th March 1955. As more rooms were completed, other residents entered the College. By the end of 1955, the College was home to 38 students. The College was officially opened on 29th May 1958.
From only having one wing - the front wing in 1955 - the college has grown enormously over the years. As of 2016 the College is home to just over 400 students. Construction throughout the latter part of 2014 and right through 2015 added 245 apartments as well as a vast range of student amenities including two new recreation centres, two new academic learning centres, a seminar room, nine communal spaces and two group study rooms.
St Thomas More College first welcomed women residents in 1974. Today it has an equal number of male and female residents.
The College was administered by the Society of Jesus until July 1999 and is now administered by the Archdiocese of Perth.
Our extensive building programme is adding 245 new apartments along with an extensive range of other amenities such as two new recreation centres, two new academic learning centres, nine new common rooms, and two new group study rooms.